Friday, June 21, 2013

Lemon Velvet Tart


I'm sure I'm not the only who's experienced this.  You try some new food at a party, a potluck, or a restaurant, and you fall in love.  What is this amazing thing?  How can I get more of it?  But then no one knows who brought the awesome cupcakes to the party, or your friend refuses to share that mac n' cheese recipe because it's a family secret, or that restaurant never carries that pie again.

Actually that last one was what happened to me.  I went to a local pie place and got a slice of lemon cream pie, and I fell in love.  It was simple, but rich:  a single layer of smooth, creamy, lemon-y custard-y filling.  I wanted more, but every time I've gone back to said pie shop, they only have their usual stock of lemon meringue (good, but not what I was craving). 

So, you know what they say, "If you can't buy it, make it".  Do they say that?  Well, I'm saying it now.

After searching the internet for all manner of lemon pie, I think I've found something even better than my lost love.  I made it with a graham cracker crust, then added pistachios because I was low on graham crackers (don't look at me like that, Martha Stewart does it, so it's not weird).

Now, between 2 cans of sweetened condensed milk and 8 egg yolks, this is a very rich tart, so start with a small slice.  Then, when you go for seconds, you can tell yourself it's ok because the first slice was small, anyway.

Also, this is a fairly simple-looking pie, so I made it in a fluted tart pan to give it a little pretty.  But a regular old pie pan would work just as well.  To dress it up, add some fresh berries or whipped cream (or both!).



Lemon Velvet Tart (adapted from DamGoodSweet)

For the crust:
9 graham crackers (1 sleeve)
1/2 cup shelled, unsalted pistachios
6 Tablespoons melted butter

For the filling:
2  (14 oz.) cans sweetened condensed milk
8 egg yolks
grated zest of 2 lemons
juice of 6 lemons

For the crust:
Preheat oven to 325°F.  Pulse the graham crackers and pistachios together in a food processor until they become semi-fine crumbs.  Add melted butter and stir to incorporate.  Crumbs should hold together when you pinch them.

Press the crust into a 10 inch pie or tart pan and bake for 8 minutes, or until fragrant.  Remove from oven and set aside.

For the filling:
Whisk all the ingredients together until smooth.  Pour into the pie shell.  Bake for about 25 minutes, or until the custard is set and only slightly jiggly.  Cool on the counter for an hour before refrigerating at least 2 hours or overnight.


No comments:

Post a Comment